[Magdalen] Quebec City.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 18:37:33 UTC 2015

I first heard the term "defensive ___" from a Jewish friend who used it in
relation to Yiddish and I thought it a very excellent description indeed of
a language that one picked up on a "need to know" basis. Then my late ex
used it in relation to the German that he picked up so he could understand
what the adults were talking about when they switched into it in front of
the kids.