[Magdalen] Bishop Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jan 11 12:20:15 UTC 2015

For more on this story than Episcopal Café or ENS offers, the NY Times is
helpful, and fills in many details:

The case has attracted attention and generated questions about fairness in a
high-crime city with a reputation for aggressive law enforcement tactics. The
police declined to arrest Bishop Cook immediately or to reveal more than the
most basic details of the accident.

“If one of my clients, who are mostly African-American men, hit Palermo, charges
would have been immediately filed against them,” wrote Todd H. Oppenheim, a
lawyer in the Office of the Public Defender, on the news website
baltimorebrew.com.

Read it All at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/us/baltimore-bishop-charged-in-hit-and-run-case.html

"Cook's father, like her, had a history of alcohol abuse. In 1977, the Rev.
Halsey Cook told the Old St. Paul's congregation in a sermon that he was an
alcoholic suffering a relapse and seeking treatment, calling alcoholism "a
rampant epidemic in our society" and a "fatal disease, not only of the body but
of the mind and spirit," according to an article that year in The Baltimore Sun.

Heather Cook, too, has had repeated problems with alcohol. In 2010, Cook was
charged with drunken driving on Maryland's Eastern Shore after registering a
blood alcohol content of .27 percent. Police found wine, liquor and marijuana in
her car. The drug charges were dropped after Cook pleaded guilty to the drunken
driving offense, and she received probation."

Also see:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/01/09/us/ap-us-bicyclist-killed-bishop.html

Jim Guthrie