[Magdalen] Broken records

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 14:04:32 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> It's great to be so needed, Scott, but is there no middle ground in  this
> project?  I should think you run the danger of real burn-out.

It's been unique in that aspect: no middle ground. Since October,
every day has been like it's the last couple of days of the project:
constant grind of meetings and piles of documents to edit. I really
got worried on Friday when my dear partner and I had a bit of a row
about my unavailability (and whether it's a choice I'm making or not).
Fortunately, we promptly reconciled. I had been thinking back to a
previous stint in government proposals, when I wondered whether it was
possible to do that work and have relationships. Then I looked around
at the project's leaders and realized many of them didn't (as far as I
knew)...or just couldn't, as they never seemed to be anywhere but in
the office.

I'm thankful I've had the energy for this project...surprising that
I'm not overly depressed about the sleep deprivation. It may all hit
me at once, though.

The good points right now are that the project seems to be well on
track to be submitted a few hours ahead of time (famous last words),
and everyone is still being pleasant. This team of mostly Canadians is
good to work with...too often there's a hothead--or worse, two
hotheads who don't get along.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA