[Magdalen] US Higher Education

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 17:17:10 UTC 2015

I think my brother the doctor may have gotten some of his medical school
debt forgiven by putting in 3 years with the Indian Health Service
following his intern year. I know he got a year knocked off his residency
by Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle.

ISTM that one way the government could do a lot for both the VA and young
MDs with debt would be to forgive a percentage of it in return for the
doctors signing on to the VA for a specified amount of time, say, forgive
25-30% or so for 7 years and more for a longer period. Maybe 50% for 15
years. They could consider the same for nurses.