[Magdalen] Bishop Cook

H Angus hangus at ctcn.net
Wed Jan 14 20:17:33 UTC 2015

This was a good letter. I hope Heather Cook finds AA, or another recovery program. I am in Al-Anon, and I often attend open AA meetings because there aren't enough Al-Anon meetings around here. I sit every week with recovering alcoholics who will say, "It's just by the grace of God I never killed anybody when I was driving." (I am not sure if it was the grace of God or sheer random chance, but I know what they mean.) Some of these are the very best and finest souls I've ever met -- as long as they don't drink.

As for the Palermo family, there is nothing at all ever that can make it up. Nothing. Those little kids, 6 and 4, stripped of a wonderful father; his wife with her husband gone in one second. I hope every person who drinks even a little will remember this and will ask a sober friend to drive their car home. I suppose this is too obvious to say, but I still wish it and will pray that someday we take drunk driving (killer of 28 people *a day* according to MADD) as seriously as we take some other, non-lethal, offenses.