[Magdalen] Trouble for Twin Towers.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Jan 16 15:31:18 UTC 2015

From: Judy Fleener

>The same thing is happening in Muskegon.  One RC church has been torn down
>and another on the way.  There were 4 ethnic churches in walking distance

It should be noted that most of the RC Churches being closed/consolidated around
the country have far more members (and larger ASA) than what we call a thriving
Episcopal Church. But as the RC Bishops note, their ASA is about 15%of total
claimed membership which indicates either their total membership figures are
phony or that adherents are disinterested in church these days.

But it's also in the context of organized religion losing members everywhere and
pretty much across the board (though some sheep-stealing inflates some numbers).
We're fast approaching European levels of religious participation in the United
States.

Of course, unlike many European countries, we tend to not use tax money to
directly subsidize buildings/churches, though we do it in a back door way with
tax exemptions and deductions for "charitable giving" which in many churches is
building upkeep and clergy compensation.

But it is quite rational to demolish church buildings and sell the land and
maybe give the money to the poor  (to follow Jesus?) than to give in to
nostalgia for those "bare ruined choirs."

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie.