[Magdalen] Diocese of Virginia 2015 Council Meeting

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 23:39:25 UTC 2015

Back in RCdom, everyone seemed to do fine with DYE-uh-seez (diocese)
and DYE-uh-seez-iz (dioceses). Only on arrival in my first Episcopal
parish did I find out there were debates about it. But it turns out
everyone is right, according to Merriam-Webster's. I'm glad about
that! We can have our preferences and not be right or wrong.

So why do so many people say ree-seez for Reese's? (Ducking and
running, while thinking it might have to do with uncertainty about
treating plurals with -ces in general. Processes as "process-eez"
mystifies me, too. I think folks try to do the same for processes as
they do for appendices. And the might not be wrong...we may all be OK.
:)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA