[Magdalen] Diocese of Virginia 2015 Council Meeting

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 22:43:30 UTC 2015

Lynn, I don't remember if anyone has mentioned how VA went from Convention to Council in the first place.

It happened around 1862. The Episcopal Church in the southern states separated itself from the rest of ETC, and those dioceses changed the name of their annual meetings from convention to council. Most of them have changed back, but we had not. The rationale was partly to honor the discomfort some of our African-American brothers and sisters have expressed and partly to recognize that we are, in fact, part of the whole Episcopal Church once again.

So the resolution passed. It requires one more reading and approval at next year's council, after which it can be adopted as a canonical change. That can also happen next year.