[Magdalen] Please pray for Ascension, Chicago - annual mtg tomorrow

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 25 21:54:37 UTC 2015

On 25/01/2015 20:47, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Lynn Ronkainen <houstonklr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> with prayers and hopes that the truth was spoken in and with love by all
> Thanks, Lynn. The truth was spoken by some, at least, and with love by
> some.

Meaning they were not necessarily the same "some"

> The right-winger from 8 a.m. Mass spoke nonsense and very
> rudely. But I was glad time was allowed to have various points of view
> spoken. I wished the rector would have had more to say in answer to
> why the firings were done so ungraciously/coldly, as I believe there
> is an explanation, but I'm assuming the protocol dioceses impose on
> such things includes things like not sounding apologetic and not
> sounding defensive, so that might leave little to say.

Not necessarily by the diocese as it may be imposed by civil law.
Certainly in the UK when there is what is called a compromise agreement
the parties have to agree what is to be said and not go beyond that.
 From what you have said earlier about the organist's and choirmaster's
reticence and what you have just said that may well be the case here.

> I also assume
> he wanted to use his sermon at Mass to give his vision of things, and
> that he did, rather well. He is focusing on the future, perhaps also
> part of the staff-restructuring approach--make your decision, be
> direct and unyielding, and look forward.

Sensible

> Two surprises in the elections: the warden elected was a late
> nomination (although not from the floor...just not known before the
> meeting), and she represents those who are angriest about the choir
> and feel they are the loyal supporters of the music program. (At the
> opposite end of that spectrum are some who said there are too many
> parishioners who "worship the choir loft instead of God.") And one of
> the vestry members elected was a nominee from the floor, the
> just-fired parish administrator.

Should make for interesting vestry meetings.

> I pray the two wardens will find ways to work together and not just be
> at odds all the time. Two strong personalities, one with financial
> expertise and the other with legal expertise. Ruh-roh. Can't imagine
> what could go wrong there. To her credit, the legal one (an attorney)
> saved the parish close to 50 grand recently through legal action
> against the gas company, whose faulty meter was bringing us giant
> bills for months. The meter was replaced, the overages refunded, and
> something like 40 grand in settlement paid.

If both are committed to the future of the parish then it could be a
positive outcome.  Good for the attirney in pushing the gas company.
Their natural reaction is to say that the meter is right so you owe the
money.  Standing up to them and getting the meter checked needs
determination.

Roger