[Magdalen] Bishop, please resign

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:36:15 UTC 2015

I know it's easy to say from far, far away but I'm thinking that if this
were my Diocese I would be less concerned with her bad behaviour and more
worried about the system that actually picked this very psychologically and
morally challenged individual to be a Bishop in the first place. When you
think how hard it can be to be selected for priestly ordination, and from
there to be elected Bishop...?

Behaviour this antisocial does not come out of nowhere nor is it a
temporary aberration. It's not even a given for people who have addictions.

There has got to be something VERY wrong with the process and that is
surely of more concern in the bigger scheme of things, than the cowardly
and vaguely pitiful attempt to hold onto the shreds of a once-successful
individual life?

As to the question of permanence, I sincerely hope it isn't true "once a
Bishop always a Bishop". To be a priest is perhaps something different but
a Bishop is a functionary within a structure and if not in that structure,
cannot have a function. At least I hope not because there have been some
truly awful Bishops in our part of the world, far worse than Cook - Kunonga
in Zimbabwe comes to mind!!

Sally D