[Magdalen] Search process (was Re: Bishop, please resign)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 30 01:30:47 UTC 2015

On 30/01/2015 00:45, Jay Weigel wrote:
> HIPAA does not extend to legal problems. It's only for medical stuff. Why
> they did not share the information with the electing convention is some
> other business which someone familiar with the situation would have to
> explain, and THAT most definitely should be corrected, IMO.

I think that is now recognized and/or the psychological assessment is
not rigorous enough.  Basically if her past history had been known there
would have been enough questions to stop her being elected. Yes, as
Christians we need to be prepared to forgive but the sinner needs to
accept that there can be ongoing effects of past behaviour that will
impact on future prospects.  That is not forgotten.

Here in the UK most criminal convictions can be regarded as spent after
a certain period.  However for some posts, including all clergy posts,
what is termed an enhanced clearance is required. Under this procedure
all convictions, even those which would otherwise be spent, are revealed
to those responsible for the appointment. In TEC the selection of
somebody as a bishop is a multi-stage process.

The first stage is getting on the ballot, either through the Nominating
Committee or by petition. It is probably better that a candidate about
whom there are serious questions is eliminated at this relatively
private stage.  It is not unknown for candidates for nominated federal
office to withdraw their candidature because of issues that would emerge
in the confirmation process. The knowledge that something which is
officially in the public domain but not generally known (like a past DUI
conviction) would receive greater publicity would mean the candidate had
to confront it.  This could result in either an honest acknowledgement
of the incident and why it should not disqualify them from consideration
or their withdrawal.

Once the candidate is on the ballot things become more complicated. How
much confidential and/or sensitive information about candidates should
be made known to a large body of electors? If X has been elected then
they need confirmation of that election from a majority of bishops with
jurisdiction and of standing committees.  While they can maintain better
confidentiality than an electing convention might achieve the failure to
confirm the election would inevitably raise questions about the candidate.

Roger