[Magdalen] Are we down?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 22:11:06 UTC 2015

On 31/01/2015 21:28, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> OK, Scott, what is the blessing of the candles about?

I'm not Scott but  traditionally at Candlemas candles (or a
representative sample of them) are blessed for use in church in the
following year - hence the title.  I am surprised that Ascension bless
then on the Eve rather than at Mass on the day, which is actually Monday
this year.  The name of the Feast with which some will be more familiar
is either the Purification of the BVM or the Presentation of Christ in
the Temple which is why it is 40 days after Christmas.

Candles can also feature the next day, 3 February, which is the Feast of
St Blaise.  Those with a throat problem can have their throat blessed at
mass by the priest holding crossed candles in front of the person's
throat.  Neither event has any connection with furry rodents.

Roger