[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flag in the Nat...

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 14:03:31 UTC 2015

Well, that one paragraph of mine turned into complete gobbledygook (where did that word come from?) because my Kindle will occasionally jump into another place while I'm typing. I obviously missed that one! It looks as if Roger was able to piece some of it together.  ;^}

On July 1, 2015, at 5:51 PM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com> wrote:

On 01/07/2015 22:28, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Interestingly, Martin was in a class with me at Howard University Divinity school in 1987. I think he was probably working on a doctorate. At the time I didn't know anything about him, but that class must have been a sore trial for him! It was a class on worship, taught by one of the best teachers and preachers I've ever had--Kortright Davis, an Anglican priest from Barbados.
> The class was basically an intro to worship from a Protestant perspective, and I took it because Davis was teaching it. There's see that the two German students were wondering what on earth  were six of us in the class: two of us from VTS, Martin, a German evangelical pastor, a pastor from East Germany, and one other student.
>
> The class began on the day after the Super Bowl, and Davis walked in and started diagramming plays on the Board, explaining that football was a great example of liturgy! I could see by the looks on their faces that the German pastors were wondering what on earth they had gotten themselves into! Martin had one of those inscrutable faces, and I had no idea what he was thinking. I do remember noting that he never smiled.

There is more than grain of truth in that.  A football play seems to be
about getting people in the right position for the next action, just as
should happen in good liturgy - though hopefully without anybody getting
sacked!

The other thing about that group was I wonder how the two Germans got on
as this before the protests that started the demolition of the Berlin
Wall and the collapse of the Warsaw Pact.

Roger