[Magdalen] Whoops. We've got the Southern slavers' battle flagin the Nat...

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Jul 2 13:42:49 UTC 2015

>I remember Fr. Martin from occasional visits to St. Paul's K Street,  and
>chatted with him once at length at the coffee hour.  If I  remember
>correctly, he was, at least initially, opposed to OW.

Yes -- and I don’t know if his opinions ever changed. But I believe he was the
Rector at StPKSt when Bishop Dixon did her pastoral visit (called a "forced
visit" by her detractors) and Fr. Perren Hayes was the only StPKSt clergy to
welcome her. It was a really really big deal in some circles at the time.

I kept a 1973 Diocese of Washington Newspaper that detailed the debate at their
diocesan convention -- Fr. Martin and Fr. Richards *Martin was an assistant,
Richards was Rector) along with Fr. Maisel of St A&A and others speaking against
the resolution endorsing OW; lots of others in favor (including a later
President of the House of Deputies) -- with a center spread of all their photos,
looking for all the world like one of those congratulatory advertisements for
the Tri-State Olds Dealers <g>.

It should be noted that as of 20 years ago, at least eight women from StPKSt had
gone through the "process" and ordained as priests. None "lifted up" from their
home parish,but all deeply influenced by it in their call. My sister went there
while a student at GWU as well, and I don’t think she counts as one of the eight
<g>.  There may be considerably more by now.

God works in mysterious ways, indeed.

Cheers,
Jim

David Strang.