[Magdalen] Sect?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 3 22:16:17 UTC 2015

On 03/07/2015 21:39, ME Michaud wrote:
> I certainly heard it often enough from my Greek cousins,
> aunts & uncles.
> -M
>

> On Friday, July 3, 2015, Cantor03--- via Magdalen <magdalen at herberthouse.org>
> wrote:
>> known that the Orthodox think the claims of the Bishop of Rome
>> are heretical, I don't think they would use the word, "sect", to
>> describe the RCC.

The Eastern Orthodox regard the claims that the Pope has universal
jurisdiction rather than being first among equals as fallacious. They
would require that claim to be dropped before they would consider coming
into full communion with the Bishop of Rome as the senior Patriarch.
Howevere I do not think they believe the sacraments of those in
communion with the Pope as invalid.

Looked at from the other side the RC Church does recognize the orders
and sacraments of the Orthodox as being valid.  The Eastern Rite
Catholics need to be distinguished from the Orthodox because they are un
full communion with the Pope but are a sister part of the one Church
operating with their own Canon Law, rites and norms.

Roger