[Magdalen] If's Started.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Jul 4 01:30:40 UTC 2015

It's the USA 3 day Independence celebration.

My dogs have started going crazy with the bangs and booms, and we  have
it now for a full three days this year.  There will be the  development's
fireworks
tomorrow night, but the current noise is from mostly young boys and  their
boyish fathers who get great delight from the noise.

I'm sure, as usual, there will be a certain percentage of them who get  some
trauma from the fireworks.

I remember in the olden days enduring far less of this kind of racket
because fireworks were not sold in either Wisconsin or Minnesota.
Those who wanted them had to pick them up in Iowa, Illinois, and
Michigan, and bring them back like contraband in the trunk.

And that reminds me of a kind of similar contraband running that
was the rule for the many years (late 1940's and 1950's) against the
usage/buying/selling yellow margarine.  Friends and relatives  would
purchase, say, 100 pounds of colored margarine in Illinois, and
then distribute it in my hometown 450 miles north.  It was all very  hush-
hush, especially since my father was an elected official (county  attorney).
Mother had a cool basement room where our margarine stash was
kept under lock and key and wrapped under a tarp.

The use of margarine was not for nutritional purposes or better taste,  but
rather because it was MUCH cheaper than butter at the time.

David Strang.