[Magdalen] If's Started.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 02:33:42 UTC 2015

One of our neighbors in Madison went to Illinois regularly to visit family,
and took orders around the neighborhood for margarine which she brought
back in the trunk of her car. Nobody thought anything of it.

There's a famous story from the 1960s of the loudest anti-margarine mouth
in the Wisconsin legislature, a fellow by the name of Sen. Gordon Roseleip
(known irreverently on campus as "Fatlip") who boasted that he could
*always* tell margarine from butter. He agreed to prove this publicly with
a taste test involving saltine crackers spread with, respectively, butter,
margarine, and something called "butterine" which was a combination of the
two. On tasting the first, he announced "that's margarine." The second, he
said, was butterine. When he tasted the third, he announced triumphantly,
"THAT is butter." The labels were then turned over.  The first was
butterine. The second was butter. The third was margarine. He never lived
it down. The law allowing colored margarine to be sold was passed not too
long after that.