[Magdalen] The most bizarre thing I've seen yet

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 18:47:15 UTC 2015

​Today I had to make an emergency run to the local supermarket, which is
deep in "redneck-ville" USA (as opposed to where I usually shop, in the
university town 15 miles down the road). I saw many cars and especially
pickup trucks bedecked with flags, mostly American flags with a smattering
of accompanying Mexican or Confederate flags alongside. (No Confederate
flags alone, I noted). The area does have a fair-sized Hispanic population,
many of whom at least started out in the local poultry industry; the second
generation seems determined to get aware from that. Anyway, as I was
driving home, ​a pickup truck pulled out of one of the side roads. It was
flying two flags-- on the right side a large Mexican flag, and on the left
one I couldn't make out clearly until the breeze unfurled it, and then it
proved to be an equally large Confederate flag. What the heck? ~SMH~