[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Jul 4 20:19:49 UTC 2015

From: James Handsfield

>Not just a dozen - the hymnal should, IMO, have hymns in many languages,
>particularly English and Spanish - maybe even English and Spanish verses to
> >most hymns.

Again, we get into the matter of whether a "Full Service" hymnal should be the
size of a Daniel Steele novel.

I realize that some parishes stick with a "Top 40" Sunday hymn selection either
because nobody cares beyond an hour of Sunday nostalgia or limitations on the
music ability of choir and/or organist to lead. Others do not, and make use of
most of the '82 hymnal over the lectionary period (though I haven’t studied the
changes with use of the RCL).

I've run into 2-3 parishes with their own  hymn booklets with a selection from
WL&P, H82 and LEVAS II -- al familiar old chestnuts and no more than 75-80,
including Christmas and Easter onesies.

>But I brought it up as identifying a trend, at least in the south, not saying
>what could be done now.  St. Bede’s has both Spanish BCPs and El Himnario.

Glad to hear that!

Cheers,
Jim