[Magdalen] The execution of Andrew Chan

Zephonites at aol.com Zephonites at aol.com
Sun Jul 5 20:06:31 UTC 2015

Folks
It  is not often that I find in the news – good news, but this story is one
where  good comes out of bad. Enough to put it in the Vicar's letter for
September  2015
Let  me let the report speak for itself:
“The  funeral of executed Bali drug smuggler Andrew Chan, who became a
Christian in  prison and served as a pastor to his fellow inmates, was held at
Hillsong Church  in Sydney amid emotional scenes.
Chan  was arrested in 2005 and convicted of drug smuggling, spending 10
years on death  row before being executed by an Indonesian firing squad with
fellow gang member  Myuran Sukumaran and six others. They were singing the
Matt Redman song '10,000'  Reasons as they died.
The  congregation packed Sydney's Hillsong Church, reported the Sydney
Morning  Herald. His brother Michael addressed the congregation and told them
Andrew's  experience showed that everyone could change: "Andrew, you used to
say that you  looked up to me. Now, little brother I look up to you," he
said.
He  added that he hoped the campaign that tried to save the lives of Andrew
Chan and  Myuran Sukumaran would continue.
"People  deserve second chances. Please don't let this be about Andrew and
Myu but about  others all over the world who need your help", he said.
Other  tributes and recollections from family and friends were shared.
Family friend  Mark Soper read _a final  message from Chan himself _
(http://www.smh.com.au/national/bali-nine-andrew-chans-eulogy-in-full-20150508-ggx869.ht
ml) saying:
"It's  a day that I'll arise from my own coffin right now as the words are
spoken 'In  Jesus' name, arise! Or am I just enjoying it too much in heaven
and I await all  of you up here."
The  message included advice to
"Treat  each day as a diamond for each day is valuable as you can never buy
it back.  Learn to use it doing the things you love, spend it with the
people you care for  most because we just never know when we say goodbye."
Chan's  message continued:
"My  last moments here on earth I sing out 'Hallelujah!' I ran the good
race. I  fought the good fight and came out a winner in God's eyes and men. I
do have a  story to tell, that story's determined by you all on how you
witness me.
Ask  yourself: 'What did I leave with you?' That will determine my legacy.
I leave  now in peace and love, I pray that you will all know how I valued
and treasured  your love and friendship. As you all leave here today, who
will you witness to  today?"
Among  the songs at the funeral were 'Amazing Grace' and '10,000 Reasons',
which  includes the lines, "And on that day when my strength is failing/ The
end draws  near and my time has come/ Still my soul will sing Your praise
unending/ Ten  thousand years and then for evermore."
Chan's  wife Febyanti Herewila, herself a pastor, also spoke, saying that
she had spent  more time preparing for Chan's funeral than their wedding,
which took place on  the execution island of Nuskambangan less than 48 hours
before his  death.
She  said that as he was led to the execution ground he asked God to
forgive his  executioners, and then prayed for Indonesia. The group of condemned
men sang  'Amazing Grace' and then were tied to stakes.
Herewila  said they sang '10,000 Reasons' and managed to finish the first
verse of the  song, but halfway through the second verse the execution squad
opened  fire.
Chan's  coffin was given  a standing ovation  as it left the church and
purple and yellow balloons were released into the sky.  His distraught mother
Helen was supported by friends on either side of  her.
(http://www.christiantoday.com/article/andrew.chan.was.executed.singing.1000
0.reasons.widow.tells.funeral.congregation/53536.htm).
I  myself find it hard to sing the song: 10,000 Reasons without thinking of
Andrew  Chan and the others.
For  as John Bradford (1510-1555) once said as he saw a man going out to be
hanged  “But for the grace of God goes John Bradford.”
As  Bradford realised the Christian Gospel is one of the love of Jesus
triumphing  over evil.
Yes  Chan and his fellow drug smugglers did wrong, but it is a wonderful
testimony to  God’s saving grace that they came to know Jesus as their Lord
and Saviour before  they died. For the choices we make here on this earth will
determine where we  spend eternity.
If  today were to be your last day, where would you be tomorrow?
Blessings
Martin