[Magdalen] The most bizarre thing I've seen yet

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 19:20:50 UTC 2015

I am aware that a number of unreconstructed Confederates refugeed to Mexico
in the years following the Civil War. Among them was at least one son of
General Pickett, who lived in La Paz in Baja California when my dad was
doing research down there in the late 1940s. He was then an old man. He'd
married a Mexican woman, and together they had 10 children. As my dad, who
met most of the children, recounted it, they were a most unusual family,
because rather than looking like blends of both parents, all the children
looked either entirely Mexican or entirely Anglo. And the name down there
was pronounced "Pickett-eh".