[Magdalen] Here We Go Again.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue Jul 7 00:10:28 UTC 2015

From: Grace Cangialosi

How about the Holy Spirit in the Nicene Creed?  A few years ago I heard someone
in a congregation substitute "she" in that part of the Creed...there are just
two instances of the pronoun. I tried very quietly experimenting with that, but
not if I was leading worship. I decided I liked it and continued that private
practice. Then I was blown away a few months ago when I attended a midweek
Eucharist/healing service. The priest, a man who is generally more conservative
than I, used the feminine pronouns for the Holy Spirit in leading the Creed.

Those of us who are older cradles will remember that the 1928 was gender neutral
when it came to the Holy Spirit. The reference in the Nicene Creed was "Who" not
"He."

We made the change when we adopted the RC ICET/ICEL language -- and they had
their own reasons for making sure that the H.S. was male.

it's one of the reasons I have found the 1979 BCP simply un-acceptable when it
comes to being inclusive in our approach.

BTW, you will remember (maybe) that our GC tinkered with the Filioque at the
1987 GC, removing "and the Son" form "proceeds from the Father."

This is reflected in subsequent experimental liturgies, of course. But even the
substitution of the RCL in new BCP printings did not result in that particular
adjustment.

I'm not aware of any other "official" GC-approved changes in the 1979 BCP -- are
there any?

Cheers.
Jim