[Magdalen] Ravages of Time.

Jon Egger revegger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 03:26:29 UTC 2015

Early this morning I awoke (~3am) to blow my nose.  I reapplied my C-PAP
mask and went to bed...hearing odd bubbles and feelings of warmth.  I put
my light on and lo...I had a nosebleed!  (One of my favorite medical words:
Epistaxis!)

Being an old ICU nurse, I remembered a few things:
       A) All bleeding stops...eventually.
       B) Estimated blood loss is *half* what the nurse says & *twice* what
the doctor says.
       C) If it's weird call the first year intern so you can roar with
laughter as they freak. :)

Then I realized that I'm in hospice.  So, I made several face tissue
tampons and replaced them every 10 minutes with massive clots on them, as I
looked for ice.  Then I called hospice.  The on call nurse called me back,
referring to me as Mr. Jon.  She suggested ice, and I told her that I had a
bad of frozen peas on it.  She said she'd call back in 30 minutes.

The bleeding stopped!  In this case eventually was 45 minutes.  She called
back and said my 'regular' nurse would call me back today.  That still
hasn't happened.

I forgot to ask the on call nurse if I should put a same-sex dressing on
it. :(

Grace and peace,
jon