[Magdalen] Fall Down Go Boom.

Louise Laughton llaug at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jul 8 19:34:51 UTC 2015

The evening of June 3, I was putting away clean dishes in the kitchen when I found myself trying to manage a fall in progress. The landing was not too hard, but my left leg was a floppy thing dragging behind me as I shifted myself along through two rooms to get to a phone I could reach. It's been an unpleasant time — orthopedic surgery for a femoral neck fracture, 12-day hospital stay, physical therapy, etc. etc. I’m home and relying on the kindness of others which has been overwhelming. My daughter, who lives two states away with her family, was able to stay with me for almost two weeks; maybe I can drive after an app’t with the surgeon later this month. This is not my grandmother’s broken hip of some 65 years ago. She was never able to live her real life again. They put a titanium rod in my femur and had me on my feet the next day. It’s still walker only for outside the house and night roaming inside, but I’ve graduated to a cane for daytime indoors. Any time it’s ready to stop hurting will be fine with me — it gets better each day.