[Magdalen] Fall Down Go Boom.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jul 9 02:23:53 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/8/2015 6:49:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

was  almost 2 weeks in rehab before
she was allowed to go home and still using a  walker. I don't get the
difference at  all.>>>>>>

I admit that my sweeping comparison of hip replacement and repair
of a fractured hip may not be entirely appropriate.  Still, the  procedures
involve the big bones of the hip, and in the case of the hip  replacement,
the acetabulum (the hip socket) is also replaced, so I can't be  blamed
for assuming the post-operative symptoms are similar.  YMMV.

What DOES make a big difference in these orthopedic procedures
is the age of the individuals.  For example, my recovery from  these
hip replacement procedures when I was in my mid-50's would  undoubtedly
be different than if I had those procedures now, more than 20 years
later.  The younger the better for a quick recovery.

There are also individual idiosyncrasies in any surgery recovery.

My immediate boss at the VA had a single total hip replacement and  was
off work for nearly 3 months.  When she returned she asked about  my
recovery from the same hip surgery, and she nearly fainted when I  told
her I was back on the job the next week for both hips.

On those two hip occasions, I felt well, and my boss (her  predecessor)
was on my tail daily urging me to return to get the excess patients  cleared
in the Dermatology Clinic.  I told her this, and she shook  her head in
disbelief.

David Strang.