[Magdalen] Grammar Nightmare.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:52:57 UTC 2015

When English goes to other non-English-speaking countries and then comes to
America, it gets even more weird and wild, as in some of the dialogues I
had with Indian or Chinese colleagues. Indians (many I worked with were
from Kerala) consistently used the word "told" for "said", as in, "So I
called the doctor, and he told to do thus-and-so." The Chinese were even
more prone to verbing than Americans--"I had to bye-bye that lady and her
house" was my favorite, an explanation of why one did not rent a basement
apartment from an exceedingly strange landlady.