[Magdalen] Whaddya Know . . .

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 12 19:30:05 UTC 2015

Our first lay reader of the morning today announced that the day's OT lesson was
"By Samuel the Second."

We had a very smaller-than-usual congregation (fewer than ten lasted to coffee
hour)-- I suspect because everyone turned out for yesterday's wedding of our
Senior Warden and a prominent local physician -- our first same-sex wedding at
St Luke's. The church was packed including all our regulars. I guess they were
"churched out" after the wedding <g> or as (I think) appears in the catechism,
"One and Done for the week."

Our supply priest this morning offered what can best be described as a true
stem-winder (for an Episcopal Church) -- going on for 40 minutes.  I suggested
later to him that I realized it was a difficult situation -- a sparse
congregation mostly seated toward the rear of the church. "It's hard to tell
when you;ve made the sale under such circumstances."

For those interested, the wedding was strictly BCP, with pronouns changed and
spouse substituted for husband and wife. Very ice, very traditional good music
selection.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney." - Lars Erik Nelson