[Magdalen] Whaddya Know . . .

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 12 21:49:10 UTC 2015

On 12/07/2015 20:30, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> Our first lay reader of the morning today announced that the day's OT
> lesson was "By Samuel the Second."
>
> We had a very smaller-than-usual congregation (fewer than ten lasted
> to coffee hour)-- I suspect because everyone turned out for
> yesterday's wedding of our Senior Warden and a prominent local
> physician -- our first same-sex wedding at St Luke's. The church was
> packed including all our regulars. I guess they were "churched out"
> after the wedding <g> or as (I think) appears in the catechism, "One
> and Done for the week."
>
> Our supply priest this morning offered what can best be described as a
> true stem-winder (for an Episcopal Church) -- going on for 40 minutes.

I assume that whoever is responsible for booking supply priests will be
told "Don't book him again". I one knew a priest who could preach a good
10 minute sermon. (I think an appropriate length for the Eucharist.)
The problem was that he would preach three or four, one after the other
on a Sunday morning.  Are preachers not told the old adage "If you don't
strike oil in 10 minutes, stop boring."?

The new Curate in the parish where I live made his appearance at the
Eucharist this morning.  The Vicar had booked a weekend away before he
knew the Curate was coming so we had a retired priest presiding and
preaching.  The sermon was not inspiring.  After the service a couple of
people asked if I had ever been asked to do more than be in the
congregation there so I said it was up to the Vicar.

Roger

Roger