[Magdalen] Anglicans Online Essays | Pierre Whalon | Marriage, The Episcopal Church, and the Anglican Communion

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:33:14 UTC 2015

It seems the man is talking about what is already a done deal as if somehow
talking about it as if it were negotiable would somehow make that idea true.

I don't think the marrying of same sex couples is analogous with a priest
or even one diocese deciding to do something others might not care for.
The point is now that same sex marriage is a reality.  Nothing anyone says
will have any impact on that, because most of us know it is an idea whose
time has come and then some.

I am not sure what I would suggest Mr. Whalon or any other bishop ought to
do or say.  At this point, perhaps the best thing is not to say anything,
since the matter is in fact decided.  If some bishop actually thinks it is
not decided, I'm afraid that just shows why nobody really cares what these
putative authorities say anymore.

It is unfortunate that the authorities of the church did not take the high
road a long time ago, but they did not.  I don't judge them for that, but
it is not anyone else's fault that the world has long since passed them by
as utterly irrelevant.  Some will say we ought not to say that, but we had
no say in the matter; it was the deliberate silence of the Church that did
it to the Church.

It's not as if it were difficult.  We saw marriage as between one man and
one woman, and our view was flawed for not being sufficiently inclusive.
It doesn't take years to say that. It takes a sentence. But the Church did
not do it, and now they whine about being viewed as irrelevant, which is
sad, but they did it to themselves.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford