[Magdalen] Latin Invasion?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 15 20:33:36 UTC 2015

On 15/07/2015 20:54, Jon Egger wrote:
> Yes and no, Scott.  The parishioners are more liberal but, as my sister the
> Sister says, the younger ones -35ish- tend to be more conservative because
> their "Papal memories" (band name) consist of JPII and B16) and this new
> pope, who is akin to JXXIII is too liberal to the younger RCs and they are
> hesitant to trust him.  It's like reliving the start of Vatican II for my
> sissie.

Years ago Joan and I would sometimes go to Tridentine rite masses. It
was noticeable that the avergae age of the congregation at these masses
was distinctly younger (and younger still because of the children) than
was typical at a regular mass.  Of course the total number of
congregants was also far smaller than the total at the regular masses in
parish churches as the faithful few gathered from a large area.

I have no doubt that they were faithful and devout (the pre-service time
was far quieter than a typical parish church mass) but they were being
fasithful to a form of Church they had never known - the golden age that
never was.  Francis is challenging this pattern of being Church.  I
believe he is right to do so, to recall people to the heart of the
Gospel message.  However those who like to follow a simple faith which
does not require use of that which marks humans out from other animals -
reason -  do feel threatened by this change which is necessary to their
spiritual growth and maturity.

Roger