[Magdalen] Time Marches On.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Jul 21 15:08:57 UTC 2015

I possess four mechanical clocks, all of which date back many years,  and
one, in particular, a small, French brass clock has been chugging away  on
my various mantles for 50 years.

These clocks all chime, but I no longer notice the noise at all.  All  four
require dutiful weekly winding.

Every 3 years or so, I have the local clock guys (brothers) do the
periodic maintenance.

So last week I had all four clocks cleaned and serviced.  This  required
two visits to my home, since two of the clocks are too big to take in to
the
clock shop.

The brothers have learned how to charge for their services, and this
week's charges were more than twice what the same episode cost
three years ago.  The bill was just under $400.

I only wish my salary and pensions had doubled in the past three  years.

At any rate, I've decided that this servicing is it.  If the clocks  break
down,
they will fall silent.

Shades of "My Grandfather's Clock".

David Strang.