[Magdalen] HIPAA Redux

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed Jul 22 20:27:27 UTC 2015

As  we've had various discussions where HIPAA has come up. The NY Times Science
section had an interesting article that I highly recommend for those interested
in the subject:

>“It’s become an all-purpose excuse for things people don’t want to talk about,”
>said Carol Levine, director of the United Hospital Fund’s Families and Health
> >Care Project, which has published a HIPAA guide for family caregivers."

And it's apparent the law has the effect of killing patients -- see the close
call in the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/health/hipaas-use-as-code-of-silence-often-misinterprets-the-law.html

Cheers,
Jim

"The enemy isn’t liberalism;
the enemy isn’t conservatism.
The enemy, is baloney." - Lars Erik Nelson