[Magdalen] HIPAA Redux

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Jul 22 20:45:31 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/22/2015 4:29:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

As   we've had various discussions where HIPAA has come up. The NY Times
Science
section had an interesting article that I highly recommend for those
interested
in the subject:>>>>>

A point is made about using common sense in interpreting this law.
The VA has good and required in-service training on HIPAA, but I  couldn't
help but feel when you combine a federal law with the structure of  another
government department (the VA), the combination tends to opt for the
conservative response.

OTOH, I can remember how it was before HIPAA in the private medical
sector.  I had a head-strong fellow dermatologist who bought himself  what
was then a new gadget:  a small portable recording device that he used  to
dictate office visits between patients.  The trouble was, he talked  into
the
devise rather loudly, and while he walked up and down the clinic  hallway.
All sorts of personal information was inappropriately broadcast.  The
clinic
had to threaten him with financial penalties to make him stop.

You'd have thought he would have enough common sense not to broadcast
information.  His faux pas would be unthinkable with HIPAA now.

David S.