[Magdalen] HIPAA Redux

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 00:20:15 UTC 2015

Conversation with a doc friend who mourned some aspects of HIPAA when she
was physician for both husband and wife pairs.  Often the husband would be
diagnosed with a VD and all she could do was tell him to tell all of his
partners... right.

Probably a lot more upsides than downsides to HIPAA, but I do know that all
the data they're wringing out of us now on doc visits, being typed right
into our computer records in the exam room  most times, are becoming part of
'the great data mine' for statistics out the wazoo...

I am particularly annoyed that the 'suggestions' from about 5 years ago in
re women's health - the pap smear and the mammogram not being 'necessary'
every year any more, have become 'not covered' by insurance' every year any
more unless there are presenting reasons (any exceptions will up your
insurance.... existing conditions or potential existing conditions do not
mean no increase, they just mean no refusal to insure)

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr