[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Jul 26 19:11:01 UTC 2015

It may make sense, but we were always taught in American schools that a
collective noun, such as "team",  for a group, takes a singular verb (He
has, they have).  It wasn't even ungrammatical common usage: speech just
seemed naturally to follow the rule.  I only began hearing it this way
from the BBC World Service newscasts, specifically on "sport" (not
"sports"), long after I was an adult, and it always jarred on my
"proofreader's ear"

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net