[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Jul 26 20:38:48 UTC 2015

On 7/26/15 3:06 PM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford wrote:
> If it makes better sense, I think that's it.  And it certainly does make
> better sense.
> Grammar only is an effort to explain what we're doing.  We drive grammar;
> it doesn't drive us.

I'm not sure that it makes "better" sense: a team, after all, _is_ just
_one_ "thing".  So is an army, for another instance.  If the team wins,
the whole thing wins, not just one or several of them.  Even the
bench-warmers are part of the team, and part of the win.  There are
lines of reasoning that go both ways: America and England chose
different lines for the grammar.  But _everybody_ around me used it when
I was a child, and we didn't get BBC radio here, then, and saw/heard
damn few British movies.  What jars on the ear is what does not sound
"right" to you, not what you learned in school.

I remember what effort my mom put in trying to get me to say "Am I
not..." which just felt wrong to me, excruciatingly formal, even though
she was of course correct.  "Aren't I.." seemed to feel all correct to a
lot of people around me, but I knew the reasoning why _that_ was wrong.
  I was told enough times that "Ain't I..." was wrong (Mom always said,
"There ain't so such word as 'ain't'") that that always jarred my ear,
too.  So I didn't really know _what_ to say.

But that itchy ear of mine does American English, not the Queen's.  I am
an American.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net