[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 22:31:49 UTC 2015

I'm going to assume you believe corporations are people too ? ? ?

1. The team has arrived.  All of it has arrived. [nah. I don't think so.]

2. The team have arrived. All of them have arrived. [sounds better]

You think the team is an entity and I think of them as a collection of
people.

I would not say someone ought to use one form or the other.  I dare say
we'll understand both forms, so it really is drivial. To say we ought to
speak a certain way cannot be argued, "Just because." It has to be backed
up with a reason why one use is actually unclear. If it's not unclear, then
it's silly nonsense to bother oneself and others.  Do what you will and
leave the rest be.

By the way, your mom's wrong. The word "ain't" most definitely IS a word,
and has been in popular use even among British upper class since the
eighteen-hundreds. It's very clear.  It fills a real niche by making
certain constructions easier to say.  It is no way going away (as long as
there is an English language anyways).

I'm not a linguistic psychologist, but I am guessing that the pluraling of
the word Team stems from complex sentences in which a pronoun was later
substituted for Team, perhaps multiple times.  The obvious grammatical
choice would have to be "it", and as you observe in your own experience,
that just sounds very wrong.

I'd say the people have spokened.

However, I have yet to see a single post here (except from me) regarding
Febyuary and libarian.  (Perhaps we need a new thread for that?  Nah.
Nobody ever, ever cares about Febyuary and libarian.)

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford