[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Sun Jul 26 22:05:18 UTC 2015

On 7/26/15 3:39 PM, Roger Stokes wrote:
> On 26/07/2015 20:11, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
>> It may make sense, but we were always taught in American schools that
>> a collective noun, such as "team",  for a group, takes a singular verb
>> (He has, they have).  It wasn't even ungrammatical common usage:
>> speech just seemed naturally to follow the rule.  I only began hearing
>> it this way from the BBC World Service newscasts, specifically on
>> "sport" (not "sports"), long after I was an adult, and it always
>> jarred on my "proofreader's ear"
>
> How does your proofreader's ear react to American expressions that don't
> make sense such as "All doors will not open at the next stop"?
>
> Roger

I don't think that's an "American Expression", just a stupid person
putting together a sentence.  I'd rather know whether it means "No doors
will open at the next stop" or "Only some doors will open at the next
stop."  But then, I don't ride mass transit often enough to have heard it.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net