[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 03:27:38 UTC 2015

Since most (though by no means all) professional sports teams have team
names that sound plural it also makes sense to to use the plural form in
that context. It would sound very odd to say (for example) that the
Philadelphia Phillies has a day off, so we say they have the day off. Why
then would we use a different form when substituting the word team.

--

Christopher Hart