[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jul 27 04:07:22 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/26/2015 11:28:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cervus51 at gmail.com writes:

Why
then would we use a different form when substituting the  word team.

Then you have "the team are taking a break" instead of the older (?)
custom of making it "the team is taking a break".  To me, "the  team
are taking a break" jars my nerves. I guess it does Sibyl's,  too.

Maybe it's a Midwestern thing.

But, then, so does the near complete subjugation of the preposition,
:"in" by the preposition, "to" over the past thirty years.

So we have the airlines making a change "to" your schedule and not
"in" your schedule as would be dominant more than thirty years ago.

It's perfectly understandable, but it still causes me to wonder how  such
language change gets started.

We are also witnessing the loss, largely, of adverbs and the related
adjective is becoming both adjective and adverb.  The culprits there
are the advertising companies who apparently view adverbs as weak.

We've mentioned before here the loss of the objective form of the  pronoun,
"who".

Indeed language changes.

And to think I participated most of my life in the "Northern Cities  Vowel
Shift" (Labov).

David S.