[Magdalen] Sharing the JOY!

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Jul 27 14:05:52 UTC 2015

I would say to Ann that such letters are passed on yet, but they have nothing to
do with Roger's original inquiry these days. And if letters of transfer are
prevalent, one can be sure that membership is declining, because there are all
manner of non-cradles elsewhere who discover TEC coming from churches where such
letters are unknown, or from the RCC, which will not offer one to someone
leaving for another church.

Chad wrote:

> when a new rector arrives and cleans out the deadwood of "members" who
> haven't darkened the door of the church in years.

The "best" cleanup was  Paul +Moore, who in the process of getting the Diocese
of New York into having parishes assessed rather than just being financed by
Trinity Wall Street, got a resolution through Diocesan Convention that decreed
that parishes would be assessed by the number of members they claimed.

Parishes cleaned house throughout the diocese. Some of the Cardinal parishes in
Manhattan ended up with as many as 90% of "claimed" members wiped off the books.
IIRC, St Mary the Virgin went from 6,000 members to 800 in one day.Of course,
"traditionalists" just tallied the "losses" up to WO and the new proposed BCP.

Ill bet none of the tens of thousands of "members" ever asked for a letter of
transfer<g>.

Cheers,
Jim