[Magdalen] Creeping UK-ism?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jul 27 14:53:56 UTC 2015

In a message dated 7/27/2015 10:47:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Interesting, too, in that I find more and more people using the  British
(and Commonwealth) "in hospital* rather than *in the hospital" as  most
Americans have been wont to say since I can remember. Of course  News
reporters simply duck the issue by saying  "hospitalized".>>>>>

True.  In any case better sounding than "Im Krankenhaus" in  German.

Another totally new expression in the past 30 or so years is the  poor,
overworked term, "unit".  There's the cardiac unit, the kidney unit,  the
orthopedic unit, and so on.  The advent of these specialized areas  and
the lingo that goes with them happened while I was serving at the  Army
Hospital in Frankfurt/M 1966-1970, and I remember the surprise at
this development when I returned to private practice.

David S.