[Magdalen] BSA

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Jul 28 17:55:46 UTC 2015

This discussion about boys to Girl Scouts, and girls to Boy Scouts
reminds about the information I've seen over the past couple of  decades
regarding activities and organizations that in the past have been one  sex
(often male) only.

Some say that this has affected the church scene as well.

Some studies have been purported to show that when "traditional"
boys activities such as being altar servers are opened to both
sexes, there is a lapsing of interest for boys.

For some denominations (the RCC), this is especially
pronounced because of the all-male priesthood where altar serving  has been
seen as starting the road for many into the seminary, and we all
know the extreme shortages of candidates there.

There's that widely  quoted book, "The Church Impotent" (the Feminization
of Christianity) that takes this position, but carries it much further  to
explain that males have disproportionately disappeared from church
activities because of the perception that church activities are a
"girl thing".

I have no answers for activities like the Scouts or, for that matter,
an explanation for declining church membership.  I've been
for OW and female servers since day one.

Just sayin'.

David Strang - Eagle Scout.