[Magdalen] Short-term prayers, please

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:51:52 UTC 2015

One thing I have learned about complex systems, like families....there is a
degree of chaos...it may not matter too much what change you make, as long
as it  does not add to your own burden or to the general toxicity. So long
as it is neither manipulative nor unkind.

So I wonder about this, Grace, you did something you have not done before:
taking an explicit stand against abuse and what others have (helpfully IMO)
called Hostage Taking. This is something new?

And a day later your son calls to say he couldnt sleep. Significant? Maybe,
maybe not. But the flap of a butterfly wing can sometimes be the engine of
powerful change. And any change you are able to make within a painfully
knotted family system is a statement about   freedom...who knows where that
could lead.

Just as all these truth claims about heaven and hell and holiness are multi
layered, they are about that but also about safety and security and
frustrated love and control and resentment and narcissism and envy and the
whole complex tangle of the human heart and DNA.

This I know because I too often face the burning desire to put my own Mom
straight, to remake her the way I want her to be and not the way she
(deliberately, obstinately) is. And always has been. And behind that, the
longing to be important, to be the one she depends on and listens to and is
never disappointed by...

One metaphor I like is a tangle of wool, or kite string. Hopeless to figure
out where it began to tangle, where it went after that, how it found itself
in this mess.  You just start somewhere, any place you can work your
fingers into it. You start pulling it apart and gradually, it begins to
work with you. I believe in that much more than any method but would not
deny that there is much wisdom and value in methods.

I also like Hannah Lerner's book about dancing through anger and out the
other side.

Prayers continue..

Sally D