[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 3 21:31:47 UTC 2015

On 03/06/2015 16:21, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> Let's be clear:
>
> The unemployment rate for high school only (as well as high school
> plus college)
> is 6%.
>
> For those with an Associates Degree it's 4.5%
>
> For those with a Bachelor's it' 3.5%
>
> See http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

I would want to know what level jobs these graduates are in and how
permanent they are.  My son graduated in 2002 and eventially found a
permanent job, but it doesn't really have a career path so this
September he is retraining as a teacher.  I have also seen it suggested
that some colleges may boost their graduate employment rates by offering
short-term positions at relatively low salaries to their alumni who have
not secured a "proper job" a few months after graduation.

The other thing one needs to look at is lifetime earnings.  The high
school graduate who enrols in a four year degree course is giving up the
difference between what they could earn as a full-time employee and wat
they can get in a part-time position.  Depending on the course they are
taking, how long will it take to recoup that lost salary?  If more
people go to college then the law of supply and demand means that the
"graduate premium" in salary will reduce.  In some cases they will never
recoup that lost salary.

Roger