[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 16:36:18 UTC 2015

Well, M, we have a lot of folks in the world who were unable to find a
place of fulfillment in the workforce (or perhaps they are fulfilled in
those positions in which we find them).

I do not recall encountering either of those personally, so perhaps they
are not very common.

The problem about anecdotal information is that we meet and interact with
dozens of thousands of people, and we forget all of them except for the one
individual who stands out, and then, we say, "Ah, I met a taxi driver who
speaks fifty seven languages fluently, so that means that we can assume..."
No, it means that people are different and we only remember the outliers.
Even when people say, "It seems like every day I meet someone who is <your
pet outlier here>," chances are you are still dealing with this phenomenon.

If I were to meet a clerk who was an ordained priest, say, I could then
say, "This kind of individual exists." I could not begin to guess at the
prevalence.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford