[Magdalen] Gap year (or more)

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 17:59:25 UTC 2015

Re:  Women and careers:

My mother, daughter of Norwegian immigrants, was the first in that  family
to graduate from college (from what is now UW-Superior).  However  every
one of the ten children (5 boys, 5 girls) had some sort of  vocational
training ranging from practical nursing through master machinist.

Mother had one of those old "general" Wisconsin Teacher's Licenses  that
was open ended.  She was eligible to teach ANY high school  course.
Her real major was mathematics, which she taught from 1928 - l936
at which time she married my father.

Upon his death in 1958, she was able to snare a job at the local high
school teaching biology, about which she knew little.  She spent a  rough
year keeping herself just ahead of her class, and then did the summer
school thing which filled in many of the gaps.  From all I can tell,  she
was
simply a great teacher, no matter what the subject, and apparently  did
a great job in biology 1958 - 1966, at which time she retired for the
second
time.

David Strang.