[Magdalen] Christine Jorgensen

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:35:36 UTC 2015

As I understand it, intersex is a whole other thing which has to do with
being born with some of both sets of  sexual organs and isn't quite in the
same ballpark as being a trans person. The current/advanced thinking, and
that of the intersex community in general, is that the child born with such
should be allowed to grow up in the way *they* feel most comfortable, and
not *assigned* a gender at birth.

When I worked in the nursery in a relatively small town hospital, we had at
least one intersex baby during the short time (10 months) that I worked
there. We thought it was a girl until one of the nurses, while cleaning
during a diaper change, felt testes in the labia. Much freaking. Genetic
testing was done and I don't know what was eventually done after that
except that the (single) mom was referred to UT's Genetic Center. I think
there may have been one other born during my time in that nursery. The
frequency is about 1:1500, which I know because I got in an argument with
someone recently who claimed it was "incredibly rare" and I looked it up
<g> It's not THAT rare! (For comparison, Down syndrome is about 1:750) The
most famous intersex person I can think of is Lady Colin Campbell. Olympic
medalist Stella Walsh was apparently also an intersex person. There are a
lot of people who claim Brittney Griner is either male or intersex; however
Brittney herself identifies as a gay female and I take her at her word.
She, after all, would be the person who knows!

Jay, chiming in from another ballpark entirely