[Magdalen] good news, bad news

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Sun Jun 7 05:32:53 UTC 2015

Re the renovations:

The good news is that the exterminator got all the carpenter ants -- quite a nasty infestation.  The bad news is that they will inevitably come back in the fall.  This is going to be an ongoing battle.

The good news is that the previous owner has agreed to ante up for replacing all the non-Code, uninspected, permit-free, and sometimes hazardous wiring he installed, not having the slightest idea of what he was doing.  The bad news is that the rewiring is taking forever and still isn't done.

The good news is that I've got the abatement company to come in and remove all the asbestos-contaminated attic insulation in my old house.  The bad news is that this is going to cost me $13K and is completely unnecessary.

The good news is that my tiny vegetable garden (assorted greens, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, and potatoes) is in.  The bad news is that the water supply to the outside, for watering said plants, is bizarre and dysfunctional and will have to be fixed. Plumbers $$$.

Purely good news: the rechargeable electric mower and I get along nicely.  And the perennials I've put in (lupins, dianthus, spirea) seem to be settling in well and look quite nice.  Thus far, all the paint colours are successful. For the first time in my life, I have a back yard I actually like.

Now if we could just finish the renos so I could actually move....

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain