[Magdalen] Shock in Situ.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Jun 7 18:52:29 UTC 2015

I pledged never again to walk into the family home in NW Wisconsin
after it was sold in 1998.  From what I hear, that was a good  decision, for
the home I knew is long since gone.

Therefore, I should have known better than to peak at what's online  about
the parish I attended in college 1955 - 1962, and where I was  confirmed
in 1958 by the Bishop of Milwaukee.

That church is Saint Andrew's, Madison (Wisconsin USA).

I don't know why I would suspect it had remained untouched as I  remember
it.  Indeed, it has been radically changed by assumptions about  Vatican-2
that (1) turn out to be false, and (2) are about a council of another (RCC)
 and
non-Anglican denomination.

In a nutshell, the high altar of exquisite proportions against the  east
wall
is gone, and with it the classical platform of three steps upon which  the
altar rested.  There was a colossal dossal curtain, and the altar was
fitted
out with six tall office lights, and two beautiful pavement lights for Low
Mass.

There is the now ubiquitous freestanding altar at the edge of the
sanctuary,
and a 16 rank Taylor and Boody pipe organ stands in place of the  altar.
I will admit the case is stunning, but we now have the "worship the  organ"
layout.  It appears the choir is still divided as before.

My memories of the old arrangement are firm, so I guess I will just  have
to rely on them since the reality is painful.  In the end, Saint  Andrew's
appears to be vibrant, and that's what actually counts.

http://www.standrews-madison.org/

David Strang.